Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Journalist who was not an Idiot

I am somewhat sad this Father's Day. Personally, I am sad that my own father, Danny, died two years ago and is not around. I am sad my ex-father-in-law, Lucien (a really wonderful man) is not around to see how wonderful his granddaughter turned out. I am also sad my godfather, Ray, is not around, taken far too early by cancer around this time last year.

But I am also sad that journalism has lost a truly great person, Tim Russert, struck down in the prime of his career. Russert was a great journalist. In an era where most political talk shows resemble verbal versions of "Friday Night Smackdown," Russert was a master of being able to ask tough questions without being rude or obnoxious.

Russert was an even better person than he was a journalist. It has been remarkable watching all the media tributes to him and hear the stories of the personal generosity he shared with so many people. But, the most important thing of all, at least to me, was how much Tim Russert loved his family -- his now-deceased mother, his father ("Big Russ"), his wife (Maureen Orth), and his son (Luke). I feel especially bad for Big Russ. Children are supposed to bury their parents, not the other way around. To all of Russert's family, his loss is irreplaceable. And the world just lost a true mensch.

I'm hugging my daughter Alana a little tighter today. I have some calls to make to my brothers to tell them I love them.

Danny, Lucien, and Ray would approve.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul Sevensky said...

Amen, brother, we've lost a great one. We can only hope that the chance for a campaign with meaningful discussion of the issues did not die with him.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home